Faber Castell Polychromos Color Theory Color Wheel – Features
If you are a fan of using color theory when coloring your coloring pages, you may like this color wheel that I have created.
Color theory divides colors into warm and cool colors and 12 color families – Red, Red Orange, Orange, Yellow Orange, Yellow, Yellow Green, Green, Blue-Green, Blue, Blue Violet, Violet and Red Violet. Using these principles I allocated each of the 120 Faber Castell Polychromos color pencils to the assigned color family and formatted it as a color wheel. Each slice of the color wheel has the handwritten color family abbreviation and pencil number on it. Space has been left on the color wheel to write the name of the pencil as well if you prefer.
You will see that there are a number of blank spaces on the color wheel for the Faber Castell Polychromos colored pencils. The reason for this is that the set of pencils has some colors that are over-represented like Red Violet and others that are not, like Orange. This makes it easy for colorists to see which pencils they may need to look to other sets for if they want to build a palette around that particular color family.
Using color theory and the color wheel that I have created it is easy to pick out which pencils you should use for a cool scheme, warm scheme, primary, secondary or tertiary scheme, complementary, split complementary, triad, monochromatic or analogous scheme. There are so many options, you are only limited by your imagination.
Creating your Color Wheel
- Download the Faber Castell Color Theory Color Wheel here
- Print the color wheel on your favorite paper to use with polychromos pencils
- Color the color wheel in to suit. I used more layers at the edge of the wheel and less as I colored the slice so I could see the difference between adding more layers of color
- Laminate your color wheel (if you wish). I laminated my color wheel with a matt finish at my local Officeworks store
- Cut out your wheels and stack them together. I used a nail to punch through the layers and inserted a foldback clip.
I hope that the free download of the Faber Castell Color Theory Color Wheel helps you with your coloring journey.
Happy coloring x